9/03/2007

Incubus!

Yay! So I got to see Incubus for the sixth time yesterday :) (twice at the Aerial in Houston, once in San Antonio, once in Austin, once at the Gypsy Tea Room (now gone) and now once at Smirnov). Absolutely my favorite band to see live. They always put on a spectacular show, hands down. We were at the front for the entire time, so I got plenty of cool pictures :)



I think I've enjoyed their music for so long because it feels like incredibly often, their songs relate directly to my life for so long. You know how certain songs always hold feelings of reminiscence? Well, although I have that with a ton of songs, the most come from Incubus - probably at least two on each record hold some sort of significance to when I first heard them, or when I jammed to them the most, or just some random memory that seems to have associated with them. So on top of hearing them play freakin' awesome music live, it's like a trip down memory lane, taking a random turn at each juncture dependent upon what songs they decided to play. Very cool.

I also had a reflective moment of introspection as Mike Einziger whipped out a banjo and started jamming out the intro riff to Aqueous Transmission to end the encore at the show. He obviously knew the song so well he could play it in his sleep, so he was just staring out into the crowd with a fascinated look on his face, wavering across the faces. I can only wonder what he was thinking at the time. It must be a pretty amazing feeling to look out among that many thousands of people staring right up at you, 'feeling' the music that you created, and cheering you on to do so.

I've only ever 'performed' like that once (if you can even call it that), back during an Orientation retreat where a friend and I jammed on a song for the talent show for fun. We did 'Everything you wan' by Vertical Horizon (this was a while ago, ok? :p) and I remember being absolutely amazed looking out on the crowd (of about 70+ people) at how much people related to it, and got lost in it as they sang the lyrics out to the people around them in the room. We weren't good, and I'm sure none of the crowd was singing in tune, but you know what? Noone seemed to care and everyone enjoyed it. That feeling that I'm so ineloquently trying to explain here is one I wish I cold replicate - and why I really wish I had the talent to sing and / or play the guitar better. Gives a desire to keep working at it though. For inspiration :)

No comments: