2/28/2004

No fucking way...

Alright, so I'm sitting here in my apartment taking a break from the work I've been doing at home, and I see my phone blinking... that's strange, I didn't hear it ring... I pick it up, and I have a text message... "Who the hell is sending me a text message?" So I check it, and what comes up? "Lose 28 lbs by april 1st!..." ...... Is this some sort of threat that I need to lose weight? and FAST? No... I JUST GOT TEXT SPAM ON MY PHONE!!! WHAT THE HELL IS THIS WORLD COMING TO!?!?!?!??!?!

Anyways, also - for any of you who have talked to me or seen any of my away messages in the last week or so... you probably know that I have been stressed out beyond belief. Much of that was because of tests and projects and such... but the good news is that I DID finish the main project I was working on - part 1/4 of the engine I'm writing in my online game technology class. Here are some screen shots - it's a VERY cool project, and it damn well better be, since I've put 70+ hrs into the thing in the last week.

Terrain with various levels of the bintree displayed
Overview of the whole terrain - drawing all 256 x 256 x 2 triangles - 131,072 total
Walking mode with transparency on
The BEAST of the project - culling - only displays the triangles the viewer can see, ignores all the others
Showing the detail of the terrain - look at all the triangles!

Anyways, I'm excited that the thing actually works - and it appears I am in a minority of my class - over half the people hadn't finished the project as of Friday (it was due on Tuesday)
Maybe I'll post the executable up here if people wanna wander around it. ^_^

Wanna know why? Because of Naylor's take on CS at UT - "They really teach you crap about programming here, you know that? It's all theory, so graduates have no idea how to just sit down and program. So in my class the projects are large and difficult - to make up for the last four years lack of programming experience you've got." - Paraphrasing, of course.

And this is the guy I'm doing research under... o_O

No comments: